IF User AND/OR Team = Max,Suite[Qtys(2D+3D+x)*Cost(L+M+E+S+O)*Schedule*Phase(Concept, SD, DD, CD)*Quality(Logistics, Constructability), Actual(Bid, Final),Capture:ALL->Benchmark]
ELSE IF Typical, User Only OR User + 1,[User1:Trace(PDF), User2:Input(Qtys, Software/Excel), Send(Others(Schedule,Etc)]*REPEAT, Benchmark=Isolated/None]
I have been away from BIM and Estimating for a while. Much of my time has been spent helping others configure solutions for tracking historical costs to use for benchmarking. Over the last few years, there has been a lot of activity in both BIM and Estimating, as well as changes in technology and ownership/development of tools that have a focus on Estimating. Recently I became engaged in this BIM/Estimating world again. While many tools are available, what is useable for most teams?
Some more math:
- Plans+Specs+Model+Unknown(x)=Complete Project
- Team(Design, Precon, CM/GC, Subs(Labor, Material, Equipment)
- Where Precon = Single Estimator, Estimator + Intern, Estimating Team(PM, Superintendent, Trade Estimators, Scheduler)
Perhaps more simplistic math could be used:
- Design + Estimating = Probable Cost
- Design + Construction = Actual Cost
- Design + Probable Cost + Actual Cost = Benchmarking and Forecasting
- Typical User/Team (Needs + Abilities) = Tool used
- IF (Software Developed = (Needs + Abilities) THEN Sold/Used
My preference? If I could use an integrated tool, I might consider it for early design (concept/SD); otherwise, I would rather have full control of what goes into my estimate.
Disclaimers: I trust and use our credit union’s website to transfer funds between accounts. I use a spreadsheet for our personal budget. I still write checks to pay my gas and electric bill.
A few things to think about:
- How does your team usually determine probable cost?
- Who is typically on your Precon team?
- Which tools does your team use most often?
- What functionality does your team want in their software tools?